Tuesday, October 22, 2013

La quinta semana!

¡Hola!
This week is going to be short because I have a lot to do today. It has been a really incredible day today anyways, so I will regale you with the tale of my P-day.

This morning we went to the Mexico City. A little interjection- I have been to almost international temples as Utah temples and when I go to the San Salvador temple, it will be the same amount. Anyway, I was going to sleep on the bus because we had woken up early to look at our emails before we left, so we could write responses on paper and send them later. I was reading the emails I had gotten when I read an email from Nathan Marchant about him, Erik and Trevor giving a life sized photo to some ladies and having them hang it on their wall. I laughed out loud and told my companion the story in Spanish. A Latino who was sitting between us heard it and started laughing too. This sparked an hour long conversation on the way to the temple. It felt incredible to be able to have a conversation and feel pretty normal. He told us he was speaking slowly for us and we had to have him describe a few words for us, but it was still awesome.

At the temple, I had one of the best, most spiritual experiences ever. I loved it and wouldn´t change it for the world. It really was incredible.

On the way back, we talked with the Latino again. He is a teacher at the CCM who is going to get married December 14th. He is super excited. He told us that his future wife is a great cook, told us about his favorite food, taught us new words and tried to get us to sing. That last part didn´t work out too well because we got stage fright, but we learned a lot from the former items. I wish I could go out and learn more about the city, but that isn´t the important thing.

When we got back, we went to the Joesph Smith building, which is the administration building basically, I need to back track for a second. We had been there a few times before and one of the times I had noticed they were learning English on the white bored, so I offered my companion and my service to help them. We tried every Tuesday for the past few weeks, but finally, this week we got to do it. It was so cool. We talked to them in English and corrected their mistakes for 30 minutes and then for the next 30 minutes we answered their questions about grammar. I have to say, I am glad I already know English, because it seems a lot harder than Spanish. Count your many blessings. It was a great experience and it will help in the field, I feel like, because missionaries often offer English classes for their weekly service.

Afterwords, I compared those two experiences and thought about how I must sound like those speakers and I though about the how the Latino had done the exact same things that I did for the office workers. I felt like I had done my good turn for the day. It was awesome.

I will try again next week to answer those questions. Sorry. I feel like I have answered a lot of them just through my stories though. 

Hasta la próxima semana!

Elder Vierkant


The pole in the middle represents how much Mexico City has sunk since 1983. You may not know this, but the city was built on a drained lake bed. As the water leaves the ground the city sinks. The city is also at a higher elevation, above sea level, than Park City, UT.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_City#Geography

Must be a stinky group of boys, I mean MEN ;)







No comments:

Post a Comment